Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Don't Knit Angry!


Nothing like utter frustration to get ya going on knitting. I don't know about you all, but when I am MAD, I get very quiet, and focused. Last night, I knit angry. It was satisfying in that it did help calm me, the quiet repetition of stockinette in the round neatly dispensing my anger stitch by stitch. This, my friends, is how I finished the Ipod cozy, albeit in an entirely different gauge (lol...angry knitting is tense knitting). It's in cotton, and to be honest, it was a mess to begin with. Done in a pattern I "made up on the fly," I started with a Turkish Cast On, made a buttonhole immediately (for the connection cord) and then began working in the round. I quickly discovered I'd made it too big, so I put in random decreases to get it down to size. I started this project in January, and in the last six months: my gauge has changed; I now despise the needles I started the project with (aluminum circs); and I've decided that when I'm casting off, I really need to take the time to find a crochet hook. (I used to be a crocheter, for YEARS!) Nothing makes a bind off fly off the needles like a crochet hook. The good news is that I think I've found my stretchy toe up bind-off of choice! Wendy uses this bind off (don't know if she "invented" it or not, but that's where I found it). Love the BO, hate the cozy. It keeps "Cuthbert" safe, so I'm happy for the time being. I still need to weave in the ends, and put a 'clasp' and button on it. I'll take pictures when it's all done.

No comments: