Friday, November 09, 2007

I am the boss of my knitting!

Remember the "In the Navy" socks for MBF? I barely remember it either. I was working it toe up to maximize yarn use (just knit until it runs out!). When I got to the heel, though, I couldn't wrap my head around any of the directions! I set it aside, moved it to "Hibernation" status on Ravelry and promptly forgot about it. Then I needed some size 6 DPNs. I grabbed the sock, yanked the needles out and left it for dead, figuring I'd rip it out later. I put it in a drawer...life (edit: LIFE?..ugh...LIVE) stitches pointed all over...



It had been on the needles so long that the stitches just stayed perfect. That's kinda scary.

So last night...I get it into my head that I really should just do something with the sock. (Shit or get off the pot, right?) I don't like frogging. Especially 9 inches of sock. So, I think, why do I dislike this project? Why is it so much more annoying than the last pair? Well, I changed the pattern, and I'm working it toe up. I like the toe up change, gives me a challenge and all. The pattern change? Not so much. I managed to take a nice simple pattern (row 1: Knit, row 2: K3, P1 around) and make it more difficult (row 1: K3, P1 around. row 2: P1, *K3, P1* around). Still easy, but now I have to count EVERY row, and pay a bit more attention to things lining up and all. So. I had to face that I was NOT going to finish it as it was. Was I going to rip it? Nope. I decided to drop one of the 2 columns of "seed stitch" and turn it into all knit instead of knit/purl. Easy.


This shows the columns of knit and the columns of seed stitch.


This is the start of the stitch I'm going to drop down.


This is the stitch I need to drop down to.


This is a photo (blurry...sorry) after dropping the column of stitches down.


Here is a close up as I start back up the column. "Zipped" stitches below the needle, "unzipped" above.


First column "fixed".

I feel...like knitting a sock!

I think I'm going to use Wendy's toe up "thing" she's been doing recently that isn't short row, isn't flap and looks really cool. Maybe that will fix my heel confusion.

No comments: